CBD is currently one of the fastest-growing industries in the United States and is now being used by millions nationwide. You are probably aware of all its benefits and how it can improve the health of you and your family, but did you know CBD is also helping dogs in their daily lives? Yes, you read that right! CBD has the potential to improve our furry friends the same way it has helped so many of our non-furry friends.
Do Dogs Have an Endocannabinoid System?
The reason CBD has the same effect on dogs that it does on humans is that they also have an endocannabinoid system. In fact, all mammals do! In dogs as in humans, cannabinoids like CBD interact with endocannabinoid receptors located in different parts of our body like the brain and other vital organs.
By activating endocannabinoid receptors throughout their body, CBD for dogs can provide your four-legged friends with numerous benefits that will have them wagging their tail in excitement.
CBD for Stressful Situations
One of the main reasons dog owners are turning to CBD is because of CBD’s ability to relieve anxiety in stressful situations like thunderstorms and fireworks celebrations.
CBD has been proven to alleviate anxiety and stress that in dogs can lead to loss of appetite, aggressive behavior, and lack of sleep. Thunderstorms and fireworks are two of the most common causes of stress and anxiety in dogs; however, dogs can become stressed in other situations such as:
- Noise: Loud noise from construction to heavy traffic. It is almost impossible to avoid loud noises especially if you live in the city.
- Disrupted Routine: Dogs get used to routines quickly and find comfort in them. If they are disrupted, this can cause elevated levels of anxiety.
- Lack of Playtime: Mental stimulation is essential in keeping your dog happy and healthy. You should be walking and playing with your dog daily.
- You: Dogs can read your mood and are directly affected by it. If you often feel upset or agitated, you may unwillingly be affecting how your dog feels.
CBD Alleviates Pain in Dogs
The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of CBD can help with different types of pain affecting your dog. By interacting directly with receptors in their brain and nervous system, CBD has the potential to significantly reduce physical discomfort and aches to keep your dog from doing the things he loves like playing fetch or going for a walk.
Identifying if your dog is in pain may be easy sometimes due to clear signs like limping or groaning. However, pain signals are not always so clear. Other signs your dog may be suffering from pain are:
- Biting: Even if your dog is not aggressive, moderate to severe pain can alter their behavior making them easily annoyed and irritated. This is particularly true if the area causing pain is being touched or moved.
- Repetitive Self-grooming: If your dog is continually licking itself in the same spot, they are probably feeling pain or discomfort in that same area.
- Altered Breathing: If your dog is panting excessively or if you notice any significant changes in their breathing pattern, your dog may be having difficulties breathing due to pain.
- Eye Changes: Extra squinty eyes means they may be suffering from eye pain. Larger eyes (the sad look) may say they are feeling pain somewhere else.
- More Sleeping, Less Eating: Dogs in constant pain usually sleep more to avoid feeling pain or because it hurts to move around. More sleeping can also affect their eating habits, causing them to eat less.
- Changes in Mobility: Pain limits movement in dogs, which may be the reason your dog does not want to play as much anymore or is not as eager to go out for a walk.
How Much CBD Oil Should I Give My Dog?
Even though CBD for pets is entirely safe, it is crucial that owners administer the proper dosage which varies depending on species, age, and size. To learn what is the right dosage for your dog, it is best you consult with a professional veterinarian first.
It is also crucial that you make sure your dog is treated with CBD products specially formulated for pets like Pure Relief CBD oil for pets. Pure Relief’s hemp oil for dogs utilizes all natural hemp oils which have been shown to have a positive correlation to animal health. Specifically made with your dog in mind, this high-quality pet CBD oil could be the perfect solution to your furry companion’s needs.